Thursday, December 1, 2011

Personal Space

I require a lot of personal space.  I feel claustrophobic very easily.  Even with my own children. One can often hear me say "don't touch me" or "no hugs right now" or "I can't breathe"or "get away from me right now"...

I guess this is now normal for my children.  They are used to me.  My husband laughs at me because I can only be hugged in certain ways or I feel suffocated. Sometimes he, in a humorous way, will "air" hug me.  I am actually very comfortable with air hugs. This doesn't mean I'm not up for a good cuddle on occasion, but it has to be the right time for me. 'Course when my girlies NEED some hugging it is usually the right time.  When they need to HANG on something... never the right time.

Hair is a big thing too.  I don't like it touching me, not mine so much as other people's hair. The girls have long hair and if they are leaning towards me, careful not to actually touch me, their hair may still graze my arm or shoulder or hand.

"Your hair is touching me!" I will screech.
"Sorry, sorry" and they will move their hair.

But it always comes back... like a fluid waterfall. Even hubby's short hair will irritate me... one of the reasons it's so hard to hug me.

Anyway, 'tis the season of looking over mommy's shoulder as we search and select online presents for our cousins. Tonight overwhelmed me a bit with Caitlin's hair.

It's clean and pretty and (mostly) well kept... so that is not the issue.  But it's still HAIR and therefore an issue. I can touch it but it must not touch me. As if it is a living thing reaching out to suffocate me.


My cute girlie and her cute hair... that MUST NOT TOUCH ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment