Friday, December 2, 2011

Movies

Michael has taken the girlies to Galveston to visit family and see Dickens on the Strand.  Tonight I am home with my handsome boy and kitty.  We're having a movie marathon.

Movies.  I love them.  My heart aches when I watch one that I really love... even if it is horrible.  Isn't it funny how a movie can strike a chord?  I studied film in school and that should make me a discerning viewer... but I can be swept away with a good sound track and a few touching scenes. Or the nostalgia of a movie that I loved as a child, as a teen, as a single adult... even if I now see it for the "popcorn" movie that it is.

I never miss a chance to watch Girls Just Want to Have Fun when it come on television.  I can watch The Notebook over and over. Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and Lethal Weapon will always be favorites.  I put on the new Star Trek when I'm stressed, LOL, I fast forward it to 35:24 "Who was that pointy-eared bastard?" because I love the middle of the movie.

Star Wars (4-6) is so comforting. Anne of Green Gable, oh, I remember when I had to watch it in installments on PBS... now I can watch it as a movie.  Gilbert Blythe, my first crush. He was terrible to Anne... until he wasn't. The day dreams that character starred in... I was Anne of coarse :)

Bride and Prejudice, the "bollywood" version of Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice... love it! And Clueless, based on Austin's Emma.  The creativity of these adaptation writers, you may not like it but you should respect it. Even the period versions, 1999 Mansfield Park with Embeth Davidtz,  1995 Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson, 1996 Emma with Gweneth Paltrow, 2005 Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley... all wonderful in my opinion.  Movies to sit back and enjoy the romance.  Then there is 2007 Becoming Jane, a movie I own and is comforting to me... where I fell in "love" with Tom Lefroy played by the persuasive James McAvoy.

Dear Zachary, my favorite documentary ever.  A movie I recommend everyone see... where I "met" the two most human and christian people... the movie that made me reevaluate how many "stars" I'd given any other movie. 2003 Rivers and Tides, 2009 No Impact Man, 1988 The Thin Blue Line... so many more docs and even more I'd like to see.

Leaning Curve, Positive ID, and Streetballers... movies that are GREAT and I am personally invested in because I know and love the directors.

Animations... Toy Story, Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Pinoccio, Finding nemo, Snow White, Cinderella, Dumbo, Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, Beauty and the Beast, Aladin, Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, A Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles

Anytime movies... ET, Close Encounters, Jaws, An Ideal Husband, Much Ado about Nothing, Shattered Glass, Men In Black, Max Dugan Returns, The Man from Snowy River, All the Presidents Men, Silence Like Glass, The Princess Bride, Toy Soldiers, Murder by Numbers, Adventures in Babysitting, The Wizard of Oz

Romantic... Miss Potter, A Lot Like Love, The Lake House, Just Like Heaven, The Prestige, Love and Basketball, He Said She Said, Far and Away, Bridget Jone's Diary

Random... Batman Begins, Guess Who, Harry Potter (all), Sherlock, Bottle Shock, Julia and Julia, Agnes of God, Electric Horseman, The Young Victoria, Tootsie, Mystic Pizza, Contact, Steel Magnolias, The Game, Boiler Room, Frost/Nixon, Scream, Capote, Sybil, Proof, Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, Morning Glory

Hitchcock... North by Northwest, Psycho, To Catch a Thief, Rear Window, Sabatoge, Suspicion, Notorious, Rope, Vertigo, Marnie

Funky movies... The House of Yes, Secretary, Stranger than Fiction, Moon, Kissing Jessica Stein, Memento, The Perfect Host, Boogie Nights, Sunshine Cleaning, Phoebe in Wonderland, Carolina, Birth,  The Usual Suspects, Waiting for Guffman

My classics... Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Driving Miss Daisy, Stand By Me, An Affair to Remember, Gidget, Sixteen Candles, A Few Good Men, Gosford Park, Arsenic and Old Lace, All That Jazz, Casablanca, Murphy's Romance, Some Like It Hot, Dial M for Murder, The Swan, War Games, Harvey, Miracle on 34th Street

Thrillers... The Exorcist, The Others, The Sixth Sense, Seven, Kiss the Girls, State of Play, Primal Fear, The Fugitive, National Treasure, Double Jeopardy, Fracture, The Bone Collector, Iron Man, Spy Game, Lost Boys, The General's Daughter, Inside Man, The Negotiator, Mission Impossible, Enemy of the State, Copycat

Forign... Ponett, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, (...Who Played with Fire), (... Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest),  I've Loved You So Long, Run Lola Run, The Chorus, Tell No One, Dogtooth, Heavenly Creatures, The Secrets, La Femme Nikita

Musicals... Moulin Rouge, Chicago, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Bye Bye Birdie, Those Damn Yankees, Singing In the Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, High Society, Holiday Inn, Gypsy, Annie, Grease, The King and I, Mary Poppins, The Music Man, White Christmas

Just to name a few :)  The good, the bad, and the freaky... too many to list.


My "making movie lists" face...

No comments:

Post a Comment